Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hens + Cabbage

Backyard Poultry
Crunchy Munchies
Speaking of food, chickens love trying out new treats too! Here are those new layers from last year chomping down a head of cabbage. I actually grew this cabbage in my garden (that’s why it’s full of holes), and, for good reason, it’s the last one I grew! Chickens can eat surprisingly fast—it’s hard to imagine without watching it yourself! I also like to hang the cabbage by a string so the hens have to jump for it. It gives them good distraction when I have to keep them penned in for a while.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean they are begging for treats whenever they're not getting one???

Susanna said...

Well, they do all run out whenever they see me, so maybe that's begging! :) But I have certain times I regularly give them kitchen treats.

Anonymous said...

Nice cabbage sure is hard to grow. That would be funny watching hens jump.

Anonymous said...

I guess that black one is eating so fast it couldn't even stop for the picture so its head wouldn't be blurry!