Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sunset Silhouettes

Artist's Gallery
Simple Sunset Painting
When I was first getting into acrylics, I picked up an excellent book at the library called Fast and Fun Landscaping with Donna Dewberry. Although I’d never watched Donna Dewberry’s TV painting show, I loved this book. It really shaped my acrylic technique, and I discovered a style I really enjoy. She uses a relatively new high-definition acrylic paint (that means it’s thicker and stands up more). I actually used cheap Wal-Mart poster paint, which didn’t have quite the same effect, but I still learned a lot.

This is the very first (and easiest) project from the book. Following the step-by-step example, I used a sponge to streak red, orange, and yellow paint across the sky, put in the sun, and added some more red clouds. The tree silhouettes are made with a fan brush. And the foreground was supposed to be applied with a palette knife and be very textured. My plastic color-mixing knife and runny black paint didn’t do quite the trick!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful red and yellow blending.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how did you get your sun to come out so round?

Susanna said...

To tell the truth, I'm not sure! I just went around it with a flat brush, but I usually don't do so well! :)

Anonymous said...

Its quite good...seriously! Why dont u sell your paintings online? They'll b worth a fortune.