Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Wildflowers

Artist's Gallery
Wildflowers on Roberts Pass
This painting is very similar to “Fireworks,” only it’s a watercolor that I painted two years earlier. I combined several photographs we took on a biking trail called Roberts Pass near our house. The greenery was next to impossible, and the goldenrod and honeysuckle proved very hard in watercolor! I donated the painting to a fundraising auction for our local Madison County Parks and Trails, who maintain the bike path.
Glass Frame
Here is a little poem I wrote about the painting a while later:


To make a painting of the trail,
I chose a subject—flowers.
I carefully drew each one to scale,
And painted them in layers.
Soon purple, lavender, and white
Stood out against the green.
I’d caught a sparkling memory of
A radiant summer scene.

6 comments:

Pilgrim said...

We'll soon be wishing for green again....

Anonymous said...

That's lovely! Did you mind giving up the painting?

Anonymous said...

You should illustrate your own book of poetry!

Susanna said...

This was my first painting to sell, so I did miss it a little, but I knew from the start I would give it up, so that helped.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! How is watercolor different from acryllic?

Susanna said...

Watercolor paint is basically the same kind of paint as acrylic except it's more watered down. Acrylic is also a little more plasic-y, thus more permanent (it's about the same as house paint). Watercolor has been around much longer than acrylic, which was only invented about 50 years ago.