Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Coexistence

Backyard Poultry
Moving In
Relations between the ducklings and chicks quickly declined (as well as my sister's tolerance of the situation), and after the first night I was obliged to find something else to do with my six little birds. I revised the set up in the big chicks' box, and found a workable solution. I added a second light bulb (only a regular lamp bulb rather than the infrared brooder bulb) to create enough heat. And I used half-inch hardware cloth to separate the two ages of chicks. You see, the younger ones needed to grow a bit before facing the big chicks. Besides the heat needs issue, the older birds were apt to see the little ones as animated toys to chase and peck. Not a good situation! A few weeks should cure that problem, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The littler ones are cuter than the bigger ones :p

J Beachy said...

They look so cozy in that box.