Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Best of the Barnyard 1

Artist's Gallery
Underpainting
If I asked you to guess one subject I would choose to paint, that I've not touched yet, what would it be? If you guessed chickens, you're right! Chicken Lover + Artist = Poultry Painter. Or, in the words of one of my friends at my art class, I am the "Rembrandt of the Barnyard"! Well, as it turned out, spending hours observing my hens did not seem to improve my poultry painting abilities much.
When I finally decided to tackle chickens, I decided to do my two favorite hens from my first flock: Buckeye and Midnight. I proceeded to follow them around with a camera taking fifty pictures each, and a few of every other hen in my flock "for reference" on the tough spots. Okay, it is kind of hard to get a chicken to pose in that perfect position you want! You can see actual photos of both of them here and here. Above is a watery painted sketch of the scene I wanted. Notice on the brown hen how my shading is already off: the shadows on the wing are much darker than the leg . . . we'll have to see about that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look pretty pleased to be posing for an official portrait.