Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Nestboxes 2

Backyard Poultry
Six Egg Day
What better reward could we ask for in our brand-new nest boxes? Yeah, six eggs in a day was a lot back then! Here you can see I’m using a mixture of straw and wood shavings in the nest boxes, which the hens seemed to like better than plain litter. I am thankful to have a free source of wood shavings through my dad’s cabinet shop, as they can be pretty expensive to buy by the bale. I have to refill the nesting litter frequently, since the chickens love to eat the wood chips!
Full House
I’d say the nest boxes are pretty popular, wouldn’t you?
From left to right: Maple, Chestnut, and Pepper.

1 comment:

Little Sister said...

It's funny that sily Maple's not laying eggs anymore.