Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Darby Creek 1

Artist's Gallery
Darby Creek from Bridge at Prairie Oaks
On the long walks my family used to take at our local park, this spot was always a shady place to slow down and rest after the hot, sunny trek through dull prairie grass. That feeling inspired me to begin a painting from this photograph I took there, looking down the Darby Creek. It seemed like a pleasing composition, the evening sun giving the trees a sharp glow behind the railings, but I decided to pep up the color a bit. So...here goes!
Blocking In
This is called the underpainting: Using basic darks and lights to define the basic shapes and locations of things. I did that excellently on the bank of trees, and I think the painting owes a lot of its success to it. The colors at this point aren’t very accurate, but the relative values are. And don't worry, the bridge isn't going to be blue! I put the painter's tape on to keep from painting on the railing on the initial background stages. It worked very well—gave the bridge sharp, clean edges.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how the trees seem to hang over the water.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a pretty hard challenge!