Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Outdoor Pen

Backyard Poultry
All Set Up
Finally, I deemed the chicks big enough to venture outdoors. True, they really were living like kings inside their new house, but a little fresh air and sunshine could not be gotten indoors. Besides, chicks just seem to be brimming over with energy and it's hard to have too much space for them the first year. Since I wanted to be able to reach down into the pen once they were out, I chose not to use one of the chicken runs you can see in the background. Instead, I got a length of chicken wire and made a little U-shape around the door. If you look closely at the picture, you can see it. I used hay bales to prop it up on one side and create a wind block, and stapled it to the shed wall on the other side. Now I was all ready for the chicks to come running out the green pop door as soon as I slid it open!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aren't those the big chickens' heads bobbing around in the background??

Susanna said...

Yes they were watching the scene unfold with great curiosity!