Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Snow Birds

Backyard Poultry
December Snow
Here are my two twin teddy bear Araucanas checking out the snowfall. The one on the left, Walnut, looks like it's about to take a bite into the fresh snow. In fact, most of my chickens love to eat snow (as long as they're not standing in it!). I'm guessing it tastes something like an icy Popsicle! Pinecone, on the right, doesn't seem to know what to think. These two blue egg layers are best friends and go everywhere together; I wouldn't be surprised if they had the same hen for a mother back at the hatchery.
Snow Roost
Soon enough, the chickens find somewhere to get out of the snow and dry their feet off. Hens hate wet feet, so I am told. I think it's actually cold feet, as my pullets will get muddier than pigs when the wet garden is full of worms. It was so funny, once the chickens hopped up on these branches out in the pen, they wouldn't get back down for anything to go inside! They looked like skiers waiting for a ride back down to the bottom, and sure enough, I personally carried each one back to the warm, dry coop.

No comments: