Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Buff Orpington Chicks

Backyard Poultry
Yellow Fluff Balls
Buff Orpington: the newest breed added to my chicken adventure. A truly yellow chick, from head to toe. The Orpington is an old homestead breed that came from England. It's a very docile breed, and heavy too--roosters can weigh 9-10 pounds. I wanted a lighter-colored chicken, and needed some serenity for my present flock. From the limited selection at the feed store, this seemed a good choice. I was concerned about egg efficiency (more weight = fewer eggs) but my Buff Orpingtons have proved to be very good layers. The four chicks soon became favorites for my sister and I. They already seemed so calm and pretty.

No comments: