Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Friday, December 13, 2013

Watchful Walnut

Backyard Poultry
Walnut in the Snow
Walnut was practically inseparable from Pinecone. They stuck together and looked out for each other, whether scratching for bugs or staking out nighttime roost space. I would not be surprised if both Auracanas came from the same mother. Their gorgeous feathers were nearly identical, only Walnut had more black on its head (the only way to tell them apart). But while Pinecone was the suspicious one, Walnut always seemed to have a sort of friendly and curious expression in its eyes. For this and its furry-soft feathers, Walnut even earned the nickname "teddy bear."
"Teddy Bear"
Upon my appearance, Walnut always came running in hopes for its favorite treat, scratch. In fact, when the flock free-ranged, Walnut would often race into our shed simply since that's where the scratch was kept. It would look hopefully up at me, begging in its own chicken way. I could hold and pet Walnut as much as I wanted as long as my other hand held scratch. I still remember feeling those amazingly soft chin feathers on my hand as Walnut ate. And, always, Pinecone would be in the background, looking for a chance to grab a few grains without getting too close to human hands!
Birds of a Feather
In this not-so-clear picture, Walnut stands watchfully by while Pinecone takes a dust bath in our garden last summer. No doubt, it had its turn in the dust hole as soon as Pinecone was done. Of all the chickens I lost, I think I miss Walnut the most. I will never forget my 'teddy bear' twins; but if they had to go, I'm glad they could go together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, how sad. They will be very missed.