Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Marblehead Lighthouse

Artist's Gallery
Painted Lighthouse Card
This is one of the very first real Christmas card I made. You may recognize it as the Marblehead Lighthouse up on Lake Erie. My family actually visited the lighthouse several years ago - at Christmas time - and that's where I got my reference photo. You can see a similar photo over on J Beachy Photography's blog right here.
The card above, in acrylic paints, was my theme Christmas card one year. I liked it so much I couldn't bear to send it to someone! So I attempted to make copies ('prints') of the card to send to friends.
The card below is actually from the year before. On first glance it doesn't look much different, but maybe you can see, I actually did most of the card in colored pencil. My favorite part is the rosy sky in the background. Then I guess I cheated a bit and used white-out to do the snow on the lighthouse ledges, rocks, and path. It was certainly easier than leaving white spaces for the snow the whole time! Now this one I did send to someone. Which one would you rather receive?
Pencil Lighthouse

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are very different looks - I would love to have them both! :)

J Beachy said...

I think I would prefer the second card, to avoid the sickly shade of yellow ochre on the lighthouse on the first card.

Susanna said...

:)