Only the best from a bulletin board full of experience in such varied interests as poultry, art, good food, and Ohio history.
Come along on the adventure!

Be sure to also check out ohloveofgeocaching.com for travel and caching adventures!

Friday, November 16, 2012

DIY Chicken Saddle

Backyard Poultry
Saddle Supplies
Of course, you can buy pre-made saddles for your chickens, but, as always, I wanted to make them myself. It turned out to be pretty easy with my sister’s help! I found a pattern in my poultry book, and then we measured the chickens and tweaked it a bit. Next we cut two layers per saddle out of a heavy denim fabric, and one piece out of thin quilt batting. Then we sewed all three layers together, except we left the whole top area (with the curved edges) open. After turning it right side out, we sewed the top shut, but first inserted little pieces of 1/4” elastic to make little loops on the curved edges. These held it on the hen’s wings. I know it sounds complicated, but hold on til I show the chicken wearing it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could probably sell yours!